SPHINX PERFORMANCE ACADEMY
SPA 2018 Programming to be announced soon!
Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 11, 2018
The Sphinx Performance Academy is a full-scholarship intensive chamber music and solo performance program designed for Black and Latino string players, ages 12-17. Faculty for both sessions include the acclaimed Catalyst Quartet, Sphinx’s premiere chamber ensemble, and the Resident Faculty, comprised of top alumni of the Sphinx Competition. Both the Catalyst Quartet and Resident Faculty teach private lessons and coach chamber music. For more testimonials, pictures, and fun facts, join the Sphinx Performance Academy facebook group or follow Sphinx Performance Academy on instagram.
I have grown because of Sphinx and will continue to grow propelled by the tremendous support of the Sphinx community. Where I will go is undetermined, but I know I will go far. Sphinx has ensured it.
- Eligible Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello
- Participants must be 12-17 years of age
- Participants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents in the U.S.
- Participants must be Black or Latino/a descent
Applications are processed online. Start your application now at SphinxSpa.FluidReview.com
Online Application Requirements:
1. Completed Application Form
2. Full Repertoire List
3. Personal Statement – At least 150-200 words expressing why you want to attend the Sphinx Performance Academy.
4. High Resolution Headshot (Mininum 300 dpi)
5. Scanned copy of birth certificate
6. No registration fee is required. A $50 deposit is required if accepted into the program. This deposit will be returned upon successful completition of the program.
Audition Video Requirement
Two separate videos. iPhone videos are accepted as long as the audio and video are clear.
1. Perform one 3-octave scale on any scale you choose
2. Perform a piece of your choice. An etude, piece, movement of a movement from a concerto will be accepted. The performance should be 2-3min in length.
Each video file should contain only one piece. Please allow sufficient time to prepare and upload videos. Videos uploaded must be smaller than one gigabyte (1G) in size. The following file types are supported:
- mp4 (preferred)
- Quicktime (.mov)
- MPEG (.mpg, .mpeg)
- Windows Media (.wmv)
- Flash Video (.flv, .f4v)
Repertoire List and High Resolution Headshot Requirements
- File Types Supported:
- PDF (preferred)
- Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls)
- Microsoft Office 2007: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx)
- Open Office (.odt, .ott)
- Images (.jpg, .gif)
- Other Formats (.html, .xhtml, .txt, .rtf, .latex)
- Please note that .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as .doc, .ppt or .xls respectively before uploading.
All accepted applicants for the Sphinx Performance Academy will receive a full scholarship to the program. Room and board is included in both locations for the two-week camps and each student is responsible for transportation to and from the program. Ground transportation is provided to and from the airport for students who are flying. Ground transportation will be covered for students only.
Upon acceptance into the SPA program, participants will be given excerpts from standard quartet repertoire. Students are expected to learn the repertoire and audition on these excerpts and a prepared solo work on orientation day. Upon completion of the auditions, the faculty will then select the chamber ensemble groups. Chamber ensemble placements will be based solely on the participant’s audition.
Sample Daily Schedule at the Sphinx Performance Academy (subject to change)
8:00-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-12:15 pm Individual Practice and Private Lessons
12:30-1:30 pm Lunch
1:30-2:00 pm Free Time
2:00-4:00 pm Chamber Music Coachings
4:30-5:20 pm Music Theory, Guest Lectures, Admissions Sessions
5:30-6:30 pm Dinner
7:00-9:00 pm Performances, Masterclasses, Enrichment Sessions
For more information, please contact:
2017 SPA FACULTY
Karla Donehew Perez, violin
Jessie Montgomery, violin
Paul Laraia, viola
Karlos Rodriguez, cello
Javier Orman, violin
Sami Merdinian, violin
Kyle Lombard, violin
Jennifer Arnold, viola
Mary Ann Ramos, cello
The Catalyst Quartet (left to right): Jessie Montgomery, violin; Karla Donehew Perez, violin; Karlos Rodriguez, cello; Paul Laraia, viola