SPHINX PERFORMANCE ACADEMY
Congrats to the 2016 SPA students on an awesome summer!
Stay tuned for SPA 2017 audition deadline and camp dates.
The Sphinx Performance Academy is a full-scholarship intensive chamber music and solo performance program designed for aspiring Black and Latino string players, ages 12-17. The acclaimed Catalyst Quartet, Sphinx’s premiere chamber ensemble, will serve as Senior Faculty for both sessions. Private lesson instruction will be provided by the Resident Quartet, comprised of top alumni of the Sphinx Competition. For more testimonials, pictures, and fun facts, visit the SPA blog.
I have grown because of Sphinx and will continue to grow propelled by the tremendous support of the Sphinx community. Where I will go is undetermined, but I know I will go far. Sphinx has ensured it.
- Eligible Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello
- Participants must be 12-17 years of age
- Participants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents in the U.S.
- Participants must be Black or Latino/a descent
Applications are processed online. Start your application now at SphinxSpa.FluidReview.com
Online Application Requirements:
1. Completed Application Form
2. Full Repertorie List
3. Personal Statement – At least 150-200 words expressing why you want to attend the Sphinx Performance Academy.
4. High Resolution Headshot (Mininum 300 dpi)
5. Scanned copy of birth certificate
6. No registration fee is required. A $50 deposit is required if accepted into the program. This deposit will be returned upon successful completition of the program.
Audition Video Requirement
Two separate videos. iPhone videos are accepted as long as the audio and video are clear.
1. Perform one 3-octave scale on any scale you choose
2. Perform a piece of your choice. An etude, piece, movement of a movement from a concerto will be accepted. The performance should be 2-3min in length.
Each video file should contain only one piece. Please allow sufficient time to prepare and upload videos. Videos uploaded must be smaller than one gigabyte (1G) in size. The following file types are supported:
- mp4 (preferred)
- Quicktime (.mov)
- MPEG (.mpg, .mpeg)
- Windows Media (.wmv)
- Flash Video (.flv, .f4v)
Repertoire List and High Resolution Headshot Requirements
- File Types Supported:
- PDF (preferred)
- Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls)
- Microsoft Office 2007: Supported but not recommended (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx)
- Open Office (.odt, .ott)
- Images (.jpg, .gif)
- Other Formats (.html, .xhtml, .txt, .rtf, .latex)
- Please note that .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx formats are not entirely supported. Please save your file types as .doc, .ppt or .xls respectively before uploading.
All accepted applicants for the Sphinx Performance Academy will receive a full scholarship to the program. Room and board is included in both locations for the two-week camps and each student is responsible for transportation to and from the program. Ground transportation is provided to and from the airport for students who are flying. Ground transportation will be covered for students only.
Sphinx is excited to announce this new and exciting component to the SPA program. Upon acceptance into the SPA program, participants will be given excerpts from standard quartet repertoire. Students are expected to learn the repertoire and audition live during orientation day. Upon completion of the auditions, the faculty will then select the chamber ensemble groups. Chamber ensemble placements will be based solely on the participant’s audition.
Sample Daily Schedule at the Sphinx Performance Academy (subject to change)
8:00-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-12:00 pm Individual practice and private lessons
12:00-1:00 pm Lunch
1:00-3:00 pm Chamber coachings and practice
3:00-3:15 pm Break
3:30-5:30 pm Chamber coachings and practice
5:30-6:30 pm Dinner
7:00-9:00 pm Performances, master classes and team building activties
For more information, please contact:
2016 SPA FACULTY
Karla Donehew Perez
Mary Ann Ramos
The Catalyst Quartet (left to right): Paul Laraia, viola; Karla Donehew Perez, violin; Karlos Rodriguez, cello; Suliman Tekalli, violin.