SAVE THE DATES!
February 9 – 12, 2017
the epicenter for artists and leaders in diversity
We look forward to welcoming hundreds of attendees to an important weekend of networking, inspiration, and leadership February 9-12, 2017 at the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel in Detroit.
At SphinxConnect, musicians of color, industry leaders, students, diversity advocates, and more will:
- Participate in over 40 sessions dedicated to diversity in classical music
- Learn from and engage with more than 60 speakers
- Attend several performances by the nation’s top Black and Latino musicians
- Connect to establish an important network to further diversity in our field with over 250 musicians of color, Sphinx’s largest convening of musicians in its 20 year existence
Don’t miss this opportunity to engage in the global conversation of diversity in the arts!
- Register now here!
- General Admission – Early Bird $70 through December 16, 2016
- General Admission: $100 through January 29, 2017
- Late Registration – General Admission: $150 through February 5, 2017
- Student Pass: $35 (Student ID required upon arrival)
Do you want to attend SphinxConnect but need assistance? APPLY NOW to be a SphinxConnect Fellow and receive complimentary registration, transportation, and/or housing assistance to attend this important convening!
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
1114 Washington Blvd, Detroit, MI 48226The Westin Book Cadillac is offering SphinxCon Registrants a special rate of $145/night for single or double bedded rooms.Space is limited! Go to The Westin Book Cadillac website and book your stay today! Last day to book rooms is Friday, January 20, 2017 at 5pm EST.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown (dis. 500ft) 1020 Washington Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48226
- Double Tree Guest Suites Detroit Downtown – Fort Shelby (dis. 0.3mi) 525 West Lafayette Blvd, Detroit, MI 48226
- Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront (
dis. 0.4mi) 2 Washington Blvd. Detroit, MI 48226
For other hotel bookings, please access www.hotels.com to find what is most suitable for you during your stay.
Maps, Transportation, and Parking
Valet Parking is available at a discounted rate of $20/day
Detroit is serviced by the Wayne County Detroit Metropolitan Airport, approximately 20 minutes from the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit; car rentals, taxis and chauffeured car service is available. No shuttle service is provided to and from the airport and the Westin Book Cadillac.
GETTING AROUND TOWN:
Downtown Detroit features the Detroit People Mover, an above ground rail system that makes a 2.9 mile loop with 13 station stops including Cobo Conference Center, GM Renaissance Center, Greektown, Entertainment District and Financial District. The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit is located between the Fort/Cass and Michigan Avenue stations. See below for more info on Detroit!
Detroit! It is a city of many facets; world-class entertainment, dining, museums, theaters, sports, historical and cultural attractions. Let us not forget the people; friendly and eccentric! We love Detroit and we know you will, too. We encourage visitors to explore our very special hometown. Here are some of our favorite things to do in Detroit City:
1515 Broadway (coffee shop) – Yelp
Woodbridge Pub ( weekends only) – Website
Detroit Institute of Bagels – Website
Maccabee’s – Yelp
Great Lakes Coffee – Website
Astoria Pastry Shop – Yelp
Avalon Bakery – Yelp
Bars and Nightlife:
Two James Spirits – Website
Sugar House Craft Cocktails – Website
Cliff Bell’s – Website
Cafe D’Mongo’s Speakeasy – Yelp
The Park Bar – Yelp
Grand Trunk Pub – Yelp
Jacoby’s German Biergarten – Yelp
PJ’s Lager House – Website
Learn and Explore:
Heidelberg Project – Website
Guardian Building – Website
Detroit Institute of Arts – Website
Wright Museum of African American History – Website
DuMouchelles Art Gallery – Website
The Arts League of Michigan – Website
The Motown Museum (Hitsville U.S.A.) – Facebook
- SphinxCon 2016 Session Videos
- SphinxCon 2015 Session Videos
- SphinxCon 2014 Session Videos
- SphinxCon 2013 Session Videos